1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orthodox Jews refuse to sit next to women on a plane

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 5, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/12/t...ws-delay-flights-seating/#XiYD8bcIeKcXai4f.01

"Yet again, the takeoff of a flight from New York to Israel was delayed because haredi (ultra-Orthodox) male Jewish passengers refused to sit next to women because their faith forbids it. The Dec. 20 El Al flight’s takeoff was delayed for 30 minutes when haredi men balked at sitting between two women, and other passengers refused to accommodate them in protest until one passenger finally relented.

In October, a Delta flight was delayed after haredim refused to sit with members of the opposite sex, resulting in the plane arriving an hour late. In September, a group of haredim turned another El Al flight into a nightmare when they stood in the aisles rather than sit next to members of the opposite sex."

If you want the modern convenience of air travel, you have to live in the modern world, where refusing to sit next to a woman is inexcusable.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Or buy the seat next to you, too.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

These guys should have been given the option of sitting in their assigned seats or being removed from the plane immediately. No way they should have been allowed to hold up the flight with this nonsense.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKING SKANKS ON THIS MOTHERFUCKING PLANE!

Vombatus and SnarkShark like this.
  6. SnarkShark

This was essentially my original idea for the headline to this thread, but I figured it would get nixed.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Teaching at a very internationally diverse institution, I've run up (tangentially) on the occasional thing like this. For example, there was the Muslim PhD student who was horrified that he might have to answer to a woman faculty member (who just so happened to be an absolute bad-ass in his chosen discipline). Then there's the occasional Indian student who refuses to play nicely with other Indian students of so-called "lower" castes. I often wonder just what in the hell they were thinking before they came here.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Love these threads. Always illuminating to see the intolerance, bigotry, narrow-mindedness and outright hatred spewed by the members of SJ.com.

9. SnarkShark

You got a problem? Call it out instead of being passive aggressive.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let us put this more nicely. Goalmouth, please explain to us in what way you think members of SJ.com displayed intolerance, bigotry, narrow-mindedness and outright hatred so all of us may better understand your point and perhaps some of those you disagree with may clarify the points with which you are taking issue. Thank you.

SnarkShark likes this.
  11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

WTF? Where are you seeing bigotry and "outright hatred" in this thread?

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Goalmouth must be one of THEM!

(Whoever THEM are. I'm not taking sides.)

Draft saved Draft deleted