1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Hoops -- The Slowdown Continues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Reducing the shot clock will have minimal effect. Teams will just milk the clock for 29, or 23, seconds, as the case may be, as they do in the NBA.

Something needs to be done to provide a strategic advantage for getting off a shot quicker.

I would put in a rule that any shot taken in the first 8 seconds of a possession counts for 3 points, regardless where it is taken on the court. All of a sudden the stop-and-pop 14-foot jumper becomes a great shot. Of course some of those stop-and-pop 14-footers will be missed too, and guess what: Then you have a break going the other way.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Then the flow is stopped multiple times a game as they check the shot clock to see if they got it off in eight seconds.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

They should institute the old Rock-n-Jock 50-point basket while they're at it.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Only 1 Coach on bench instead of 27 and they must be seated.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Fear the Turtle, I'm happy so far. Enjoying the BigTen, the SuperStar ACC coaches are annoying

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Think annoying coaches are only an ACC thing? Wait until you meet Bo Ryan

8. Big Circus

Or Tom Crean, for God's sake.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I used to love college basketball. It has been unwatchable for at least a decade.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Krzyzewski, Williams, Boeheim and now Pitino, Jesus couldn't get a call

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's the job of the trail official, who is already supposed to be keeping the 8-second backcourt count anyway. In the final 2:00 of the game, check the replay if necessary; otherwise the refs' judgment stands.

12. Big Circus

That's where I am with college football. It turned into the Arena League so slowly we didn't even notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted