1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gator with the messy pants

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is this what we've become now? This is not a knock at Deadspin, it is far from the only site doing posts like this. Deadspin is just the vehicle for this discussion.

I don't know whether to be amused, be angry this will get more clicks than anything we do all night or both. Operating in a professional world without rules is something I've never done.

http://deadspin.com/florida-running...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

With this and the woman who was/wasn't cheating or rubbing a booger in her dude/side dude's hair and all the other "shit" out there (ha ha see what I did?), I shake my head an awful lot.

Maybe I'm just old.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The dude who crapped his pants is a perfect example of what should be on a blog. A blog's point is to generate traffic/discussion and that does it. There is nothing wrong with a newspaper doing a one- or two-paragraph post on the guy who crapped his pants, then ask about it after the game. Leave it there.
    Instead, newspapers ignore it and get all holier than thou as every website on the internet runs it while wondering why they don't get the hits Deadspin/Bleacher Report/Whoever does.

3. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Moddy, I'm definitely your junior by a few years, and I have the same kind of mixed emotions.

I get the rubber necking aspect of stuff like this. What I've been having a hard time with lately is feeling like these are the kinds of things people are clicking on over "real" or traditional news -- the traffic reports at our paper confirm it. I don't have the feeling I had early in my career that we're turning out important journalism that matters to people.

4. Seriously?

Sigh, I guess this should be expected from the generation that feels the need to share every aspect of their lives on social media.

That said ... I want to see you ask a DL and/or his coach (Mike Gundy or Saban) about crapping his pants.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Was this mentioned in any paper? I'm guessing not, or if it is, it will be in a way that condemns Deadspin for printing it.

For better or for worse, this is what Deadspin does, and I love Deadspin. I think they go overboard a lot, but I enjoy the site. I feel the same way about The Big Lead, EDSBS, Kissing Suzy Kolber etc...

This is not what a beat writer does. Maybe it should be. I don't know. I'm happy I haven't had to make that decision for several years now. I wouldn't write it. But I don't have a problem with Deadspin doing what it did with it. Maybe that's why Deadspin is the future and Newspapers are dying.

6. You're right.
    I'm sure there's more than one asshole complaining the local paper missed that news piece.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I dunno ... wasn't a video of a grown-ass George Brett talking about pooping his pants as a player the talk of town a couple years ago?

8. RecoveringJournalist

Najeh Davenport doesn't know what the big deal is.

No. 1, it's nobody's business...

No. 2... :D

9. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, but it was his story to tell. It was also more than 20 years after he retired.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Exactly. This shit's been going on for decades.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Did this pop up on social media during the game? Theoretically, how would a beat writer even know this happened during the game? You can't see that spot from the box. The player didn't miss any snaps.

Even qualifying that asking about this is something that should be done (It's not but for argument's sake), a writer not watching the game on ESPN and using DVR to take screen caps of the kid's pants could be doing a fine job covering the game and miss this entirely. It's not at all germane to the game.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If he had been wearing a girdle with coxis pad instead of going with the trendy no pads look ,
    it would not have been a story.

Draft saved Draft deleted