1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed Hinton's farewell column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Dec 31, 2014.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

On ESPN.com:

http://espn.go.com/racing/story/_/id/12099569/long-columnist-ed-hinton-calls-career

I found this to be an interesting piece, especially in how he kind of puts down his own work covering autos. "I leave known mainly as a motorsports writer. I regret that."

His last piece on the Nascar beat was in October; he didn't cover the last few Chase races or the finale or the postseason gigglefest in Vegas. Have been curious as to why that was, wonder if this piece somehow has something to do with it. Or not.

At any rate, I'll look forward to reading whatever else he has coming down the road, whenever that is.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Some great stuff there. He seems like one of the good ones, and he sure has seen a lot. Surprised to see him say he's sick of covering autos. He knows it so well, that it surprises me that he doesn't have a passion for it.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think he feels like an actor who gets typecast.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like Ed is sick and tired of the business, like a lot of guys at that point in their career. What once was a love and a passion got killed by all the BS and politics of journalism.

Maybe Ed should click on our "Getting out of the business" resource thread. Might help him.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know...

I think he's saying good bye the way we'd all have liked to do -- when the timing's just right, pretty much on our own terms, after what was obviously a great, impressive career that included opportunities for which all of us in this business strive, or about which we can only dream.

Like him, I wouldn't shed a single tear. Bravo, Ed.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Agreed. Great final column, too.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I guess Versatile got banned before he could crap on Hinton's farewell.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ed's piece on Bobby Allison after his two sons died was one of the best things I've ever read anywhere.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Also, do yourself a favor and find the piece he mentioned on Maris' wake.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

He got banned? Really? What for?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  11. smithsonryan

smithsonryan New Member

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm way out of the loop in poster interaction. But in the "New SJ Owner" thread in ANNOUNCEMENTS, putting two and two together equaled Versatile getting banned (but I wasn't ever any good at math). Also, about the time of that revelation, combatants Fart and OOP stopped posting. Holidays, though, maybe people are busy.

Draft saved Draft deleted