1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB Bowl-o-Rama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Dec 19, 2014.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sorry, that's just childhood memories kicking in. "My" team was playing on teevee at a time when maybe only 1 or 2 of their regular season games was televised. Of course they seemed to mean something. They really didn't.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia, the list of bowl games at the end of the 1985 season (just to pick one at random). How many of these games "meant something" or were even memorable?
    I'll grant you that 1985 was a fairly forgettable college season, but I'd wager that most bowl seasons of that era shook out about the same way. Maybe one or two games that truly affected the national title race -- without the teams directly involved playing each other -- alongside a lot of random, forgettable bowl games and all followed by a heaping dose of cries for a playoff.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Forgettable? Heck, that was my second-favorite bowl season. :)

[​IMG]

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Compared to the basketball bracket, bowls aren't as meaningful.

And now that we have a small football playoff bracket, that makes all the other bowls seem even less meaningful.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't worry, they'll just buy 'em new ones.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

ESPN just had a Florida coach in the booth for a 10-minute Gator advertisement, while noting UF is way behind in recruiting. Is this allowed, schools turn each other in for far less.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, for one thing, you could actually know the name of the bowl and not question where the heck the bowl is or what the heck the bowl is named after.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you say so. I couldn't tell you where the Freedom or All-American Bowls were played. And I'd never even heard of the Cherry Bowl until seeing that list. Most of the others are bowls that are still around or were around long enough (Bluebonnet) to be familiar with. I'll even give you that making a bowl was more prestigious back then, which is natural considering there were only half as many games.
    The point remains, though, that most of them were as much of meaningless door prizes as they are today. In terms of relevance, was there really any difference between the 1985 Cotton Bowl and the 2014 Cotton Bowl?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Honestly surprised that doesn't happen more often.

It's bad enough that it happened, but that poor guy is going to be paranoid about it happening again for the rest of his football-playing life.

Draft saved Draft deleted