1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad writing of 2014

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Would be better titled as "The Worst American Sportswriting Of 2014 As Well As Some Feuds We Want To Stoke To Get Attention And Feel Important."

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How did I miss Pearlman's confession to having unprotected sex?

I'm not sure how he ever forgave himself.

4. Dick Whitman

When I was in college, I took public speaking. There was this guy in our class who was kind of an odd bird, and he gave some speech about crime and punishment in America. Guy takes on this super-intense persona up there, and sets the scene: "These are the worst people society has to offer. Murderers. Rapists. Unwed mothers."

This predated "The Office" by five or six years, but I definitely looked at my friend next to me with my best Jim Halpert face.

Any time someone includes something that doesn't quite fit on such a laundry list, I think of that speech.

5. YankeeFan

He should have said "welfare queens".

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nah - "Baby Momma's" would have been more succinct.

7. Was "Baby Momma's" a thing then?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I read the Whitlock piece for the first time. He didn't misread the theme or the plot of Wolf of Wall Street. Lots of reviewers pasted their own societal critiques onto the Scorsese film that Scorsese himself never got around to making in the film itself. When I talk to folks about "Wolf" they pretty much saw it as Whitlock did. It's one of his poorest-made films, if not necessarily one of his worst.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Deadspin has become increasingly boring and childish, but it can always go to this well, as the writing community has skin the consistency of spring roll paper.

10. Dick Whitman

It almost seems like a piece specifically cranked out to try to provoke Jeff Pearlman and Chris Jones.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Pearlman already has responded. Deadspin vs. Jeff is the journalistic equivalent of Saban vs. Meyer. Fun to watch unfold, but no winners.

12. YankeeFan

No doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted