1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the most unsung sportswriter alive...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AD, Dec 29, 2014.

1. AD

AD Active Member

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board, Linda. Glad to have you here.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

If you knew Linda, you would know that is totally not her style.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Not her style at all. But, if she was the "most unsung sportswriter alive" she wouldn't be at the Miami Herald.

People who are, or have been in the business, are well aware of her talent.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the story she wrote when a Russian basketball team faced the Heat in an exhibition game.

She interviewed a couple of fans who completely duped her into thinking they were Russian. Didn't bother to fact check any of the fake celebrity names they mentioned. Or question any of the nonsense they told her.

http://deadspin.com/5663140/nba-is-...icle-quoting-people-pretending-to-be-russians

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2010/10/fau_freshman_bradley_springer.php

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/10/the_herald_was_punked_here_are.php

Also tremendously liked the column --- shortly after Hurricane Andrew cut a buzzsaw across Homestead --- saying that afer this the Miami Hurricanes should change their nickname.

6. AD

AD Active Member

i liked that column, too: because it zagged when everyone was zigging. if you don't know her stuff -- except for one error over a 30 year career -- then you're missing out. go find her ted hendricks piece, pal. she's one of the best, period. and, nope, i'm not her. would like to have her skills, though....

7. Doc Holliday

Good grief man, get a grip and join reality. I was joking.

8. Doc Holliday

Yeah, she's clearly the most unsung sports writer alive. LOL

9. AD

AD Active Member

Really, Doc? You hear her name on this board or at awards time when people are talking about Wright Thompson or Jones, etc or the latest symphony from Grantland? Never.

Sorry: But I like to point out when newspapers like the Herald, under siege in a way magazines and ESPN aren't, actually get the job done. Linda has been doing it for 30 years, quietly. You don't hear the hosannas about her like you do the usual suspects.

Would she like to take the fake Russian clowns story back? Sure. And I'm assuming your record is perfect. The fact is, she's great, and I want to point it out.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If you've edited someone's raw copy and still think she's great ... well, that describes my opinion of Linda. Put another way, not long after I left Miami, we were looking for a long-form writer and she's who I recommended. She talked to my boss but wouldn't move.

From that era:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19900715&slug=1082205

Most unsung, though? That would be hard to say. I wouldn't attempt to guess. I mean, Linda has won a lot of APSE awards. So has Newark's Steve Politi, and I think he doesn't get the attention he deserves on this board. He is so consistently good and can hit to all fields.

As with Linda's Russian piece, posters here bring up one particular bad column when Mark Whicker's name comes up. But I think he's the best sports writer of my generation and certainly the best I've edited. Also consistent, also can hit to all fields.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Vahe Gregorian is my nominee for most unsung sportswriter.

Moderator1 likes this.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He's certainly on the list. Talented, versatile and a good guy. I'd hire him in a minute.

Another? Todd Jones in Columbus. He'd probably top my list. Another talented and versatile guy. As well as a good guy.

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted