1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Dec 26, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Denver Post has a rare opening for a sports reporter. We're looking for a smart, aggressive reporter to write enterprise/project stories for our sports-hungry readership. The ideal candidate should be able to find great high-end stories while skillfully juggling short- and long-term investigative projects from any beat. We want a visually literate person with sharp narrative who is able to dig through data and explain complex stories, all the while putting a human face on those stories.

We are a newsroom that thrives on teamwork, and you could be our next great addition. Please send resumes and clips to AME-Sports Scott Monserud:smonserud(at)denverpost(dot)com.

Essential Functions:

• Develop news sources and look for and create news story ideas in coordination with assignment editors.
    • Research, observe and conduct interviews over the telephone or in person to gather pertinent information for news stories.
    • Interact with the public in a professional manner.
    • Organize information and write a clear, concise, interesting and grammatically correct story while meeting deadlines.
    • Be able to seek out and report news for immediate publication on The Post’s digital platforms or for print publications.
    • Discuss story formulation with editors and edit or rewrite stories, as necessary.
    • Ability to collaborate with other staffers, editors, photographers and videographers in coming up with ideas and executing assignments.

Qualifications:

• Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, or equivalent experience.
    • Experience using video reporting (or, a willingness to learn)
    • Demonstrated proficiency with social media tools
    • Strong reporting and writing skills
    • Ability to multi-task and work quickly to meet deadlines
    • Must have a valid driver’s license to travel to reporting events
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/job-listings/1615272

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am stunned they are hiring. That place is still pretty well staffed.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

This is a position the Post wanted to fill a while back but had a hiring freeze. I believe it was able to be opened up again because of Dater's termination.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Goes without saying, PM with questions. Have some insight onto the now-eighth floor. Obviously, lots of insight about living here. (No, you don't need an oxygen mask on a daily basis.)

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Should know how to properly use social media. :D

6. RecoveringJournalist

Who is covering hockey for them now? Is it Frei or Chambers?

7. Matt Stephens

Both. Frei is the main guy right now.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  8. RecoveringJournalist

Good. I always liked Terry. I never understood what they were doing with him on the CSU beat.

9. smoomaw

smoomaw New Member

Any idea how much experience they are looking for?

10. RecoveringJournalist

If it's not a female or minority candidate, the hire will likely be someone local who they can get cheap. That's the way they hire at least 90 percent of the time.

11. Matt Stephens

A lot of shuffling happened with the beats during the offseason and The DP needed someone on CSU. Terry absolutely loved covering the Rams.

12. RecoveringJournalist

I can definitely see that. Terry loves the underdog. But, if you have someone with Terry's experience and talent, he needs to be on a top beat, if not doing takeouts and columns. I don't mean that as a slight to CSU, but it's not a top beat at that paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted