1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit Free Press gets the wrong guy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MNgremlin, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

[​IMG]

Free Press apology:

[​IMG]

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Those Newsroom of the Future copy editors are really earning their salary.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Could this be as simple as a non-sports designer not knowing the difference for the front page? When I was a copy desk intern at a tiny daily, the sports desk used to always make me check the front sports tease "to make sure they don't fuck it up."

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, but the Seattle Times just has a a newsroom. It's not a Newsroom of the Future.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is that Harbaugh wearing a 49ers cap? Honest mistake!

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did that Seattle paper make it out of the building? Story I heard was it was caught, a new press run was ordered but somebody snapped a picture of it.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It did not.

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised. One of the South Florida papers once ran an A1 story with a headline on Pat "Reilly." And that DID make it out of the building. The news-side copy editor who handled the story knew sports and had it right, but the night news editor (who knew little about sports) rewrote the head and introduced the error. This was the same night news editor who once wrote the following headline: "Lewinsky granted broad immunity."

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I wonder who that fuckup falls upon in that structure.

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Posted this on social media and someone replied "Like the average guy could tell the difference?" I guess I'm better than average then, yay!

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Also the average guy in southeast Michigan where Jim Harbaugh's face has been plastered all over social media as "the next U of M head coach" since the Shane Morris incident can probably tell

Draft saved Draft deleted