1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More than half of statements made on FOX News are "flat-out false"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 24, 2014.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This came out in July, but it just popped up in my Facebook feed yesterday. Apologies if it's been posted, but a quick search didn't find anything about it.

Anyway, Punditfact's analysis of statements made by FOX News hosts and guests found that 60 percent were "flat-out false" and only 8 percent of statements made could be called "completely true." A whopping 82 percent could not be considered any better than "half true." Those are pretty alarming numbers for an organization that calls itself a news outlet and touts itself as "fair and balanced."

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/0...of-all-statements-made-on-fox-news-are-false/

MSNBC/NBC is better, but not what I would call acceptable, coming in at 46 percent. CNN does a nice job, with 18 percent of statements made on the network rating as false.

Here's some further explanation of the methodology:
    http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/article/2014/jul/01/introducing-scorecards-tv-networks/

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"CNN does a nice job."

3. bigpern23

Fair. CNN does a comparatively nice job.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This made its debut last year on Kimmel, but it's an instant Christmas classic: Fox News Presents Mr. Potter And The Commies Of Bedford Falls.

5. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

I think they would have counted your post as "flat-out false."

6. bigpern23

Yep, you got me. Or more accurately, you got the writer who opened the story with:
    Edited the OP for accuracy.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  7. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

I wish they showed some examples of what they considered false statements. I can't believe the numbers for any of the networks are that high but I don't watch them much so I don't really know what they've been saying.

poindexter likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've gotten to the point that whenever anybody posts on FB or emails any of the propaganda crap from Faux Fascist Noise, I just mass-blast a response: "We're supposed to be educated people here, get this bullshit out of here."

It's gotten me unfriended by a few people, but who gives a fuck, I'm real smart and they're real dumb, so I don't need to waste my time on their bullshit.

9. bigpern23

I believe it. Some examples would have been good, but I've read enough Politifact checks to have a good idea of the kind of statements they analyze.

Also interesting is the Fairleigh Dickinson study released a few years ago that is referenced in the story, showing that viewers who rely on MSNBC or FOX for their news are
    less informed about current events than respondents who reported consuming no news. Viewers who reported getting their news from NPR (not surprisingly) fared best on a current events quiz.

I'm not sure if it says more about the quality of The Daily Show or the shittiness of the other networks that TDS viewers were the second-most well informed.

http://inthecapital.streetwise.co/2...-the-news-are-more-informed-than-fox-viewers/

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

NPR has been heavily cowed and neutered the last several years and its content is heavily influenced by the factions in Congress constantly threatening to chop its funding.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

"Barack Obama is not God" was rated false if that gives you an idea.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tony, always assume Fox News is lying. You'll be right more than you're wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted