1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You won't be seeing "The Interview"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 17, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, maybe if you grab a pirated copy. But the upcoming Rogen/Franco movie has been pulled by Sony because of the hacker threats.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is being covered elsewhere, but there is talk that Sony might issue it straight to PPV. Seems like it could work. I'd actually like to see it, but doubt I'd pay to do so.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Brilliant buffoonery.

We have a massive hard-un to stir shit with with a provocateur who means squat. I'm sure there are 2 or 3 things happening behind the scenes we'll never be privy to.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

As with a lot of my friends, this just makes me want to see this movie even more.

I thought it looked pretty fun from the trailers, but I fear it's one of those movies where all the funny parts are in the trailers.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would not have seen it anyway based on trailers that I have had to endure for what seems like
    the past year.

I think Sony realized that the movie was going to get a much larger following instead of a niche group
    they wanted to save the nation from unfunny Seth Rogan and their reputation for putting out such
    junk.

This is now the 2nd US made move that has caused a major uprising with "The Axis of Evil " crowd.
    Folks may recall that the movie "Innocence of Muslims" was the flash point of the Benghazi
    tragedy.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It would have been interesting to see if the threat about a terrorist strike at a movie theater would significantly keep people away from the theater. I'm guessing it would not have helped.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seeing a fat unfunny Seth Rogan was enough to keep me away

8. RecoveringJournalist

I'm hit and miss with Rogen. Neighbors was good, but not great. I loved This is The End. He's had a few where I'm like, "We get it, you're stoned..."

9. RecoveringJournalist

I remember they pulled Collateral Damage shortly after 9/11 happened.

How many similar instances of this are there with a major studio film?

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not sure about movies that have pulled, but I know Sony pulled a planned Spider Man trailer after 9/11 that featured a bank heist ending with the crooks in a helicopter getting caught in a web between the Twin Towers. In the movie, they digitally removed the towers from any other scenes in which they were visible, and they also added the "This is New York. You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us" hooey.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Of course Hollywood and the liberal media are against "torture". Their preferred method of dealing with terror threats is surrender.

News organizations across the country covered the "Mohammad cartoons" but never published them. And, now, a group who had only demonstrated an ability to hack into one computer network has shut down the release of a major motion picture.

And, it's not just Sony. Before they caved, a number of big theater operators had already announced they would not show the film.

12. RecoveringJournalist

To some extent, I don't blame them. This is one of the biggest movie-going times of the year and if you own a theater you don't want to give people any reason to stay home.

I hate that the hackers achieved exactly what they wanted to, but they did.

Draft saved Draft deleted