1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politics threads

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"The boards been dead for the last several days" How about the last several years. Perhaps stagnant might be a better term and as a result
    people leaving or rarely posting any longer because there is little of interest to them.

As much a Jeff and the Mods don't want to hear it what has driven the place from the beginning even when it was part of Sports Pages.com
    was free wheeling discussion on current events, much with a political overtone.

Jeff it's a real contradiction to say that you don't want politics yet you want page views. The numbers speak for themselves. Look at
    the metrics for the last political thread before it was locked. In a year there were 663,384 unique views. There is not even another
    thread that is close.

Not allowing political threads throws the baby out with the bath water. The reality is that a few have ruined it for everyone else that wants to
    have an intellectually honest conversation and the Mods have been too quick to accommodate them by locking threads to fast.

In the end it's your place and you can do with it what you want but I've been here from the Rich Johnson days and have always found the place
    more interesting when there was a lot less regulation and control. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

To affirm what YF and Boom said, Jeff, I highly encourage you to activate the politics thread
    and if certain fucking idiots posters can't handle being there without the butt-hurt then just ban them from that thread.
    It's really very easy. Trust me, you will see a huge (HUGE!) spike in traffic if you open that up again.
    5 bucks says some of the blowhards from the Other Funny Farm would come out to play
    because, you know, they're the mostest-smartest of the bunch when it comes to politics.
    Well, Zeke, knows his stuff from an historical standpoint and argues well enough in that regard.

But anyway ...

You want cash money to feed wifey and baby?
    Well, you need page views.
    Need page views?
    Open the politics thread
    and be ULTRA specific about the conditions re: posting IRT getting banned.

My suggestion is this: blowhards who blow too hard get a 15-day timeout from the thread on first warning.

A second warning means permanent ban from the thread.

My other suggestion is this: let people play hard and nasty in the thread with only one general rule: no outing.

Because you can't talk politics -- both sides are idiots -- without it getting heated. Let it get heated.

Just don't fucking out anyone, idiots.

C'mon, it'll provide a hefty dose of comic relief here.
    Democrats talking like they know what the fuck they're talking about. They don't.
    Republicans talking like they know what the fuck they're talking about. They don't.
    The rancorous back and forth.
    The vilification of each other's souls.
    The lust and the romance of the political dance.

That's my 2 cents, though it's only worth half that since the Republicans gave the other penny to their tax-evading business friends to squirrel away off-shore.

YankeeFan and Boom_70 like this.
  3. Boom_70

Haden Panettiere Gives Birth - 350 views since Sunday.

Threads like that are not going to pay your light bills and draw people to the
    place.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Light bill? Have you seen how much a jar of Gerber's mushed carrots goes for these days?

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the creation of a third major section called The Water Cooler (in addition to the existing Sports and News, and Anything Goes sections).

The rules for the Water Cooler would be pretty simple. No outing, no borderline images. More importantly, NO REPORTING to mods, no whining, no butthurting. Enter at your own risk, no holds barred, free discourse. Less moderating. You get offended or butthurt, that's your problem and the risk you took by entering the Water Cooler.

And of course, the WC would be the only place where political discussion would be allowed.

Anyway, just an idea. I've seen it work on other sites.

Boom_70 likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I think people forget what a cesspool that politics thread was.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. Boom_70

Respectively disagree.
    One thing I've never understood is if people don't like the tone of political discussion then why click on the thread or even go to
    that board?

It would be like someone against nudity going to a topless bar and then complaining about it.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I understand perfectly that we could have a pretty productive discussion, then call it a day and go to sleep, only to wake up and find the night crew had vomited all over the previous nine or 10 pages with their "You're gay for being a D! No, YOU'RE gay for being an R!" shtick.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you could just not click on it. I quickly discovered it was a shitshow and immediately began ignoring it.

10. The same mods have been around for a few years. No burn out there.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Politics thread? What's that?

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Your second sentence is absurd, and it instantly sabotages your first point. Nice work.

Draft saved Draft deleted