1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ultimate in uniform BS: black numbers on black jerseys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oakland U. at Sparty Sunday night.

[​IMG]

If only the refs had had the balls to ring up OU for 12 technical fouls for illegal uniforms: bang-bang-bang, bang-bang-bang.

You know, fuckin' teevee runs everything else in sports, you'd think the networks would call up the NCAA (and all other leagues for that matter) and say, "Read this and follow it, fuckers:" http://accessibility.psu.edu/contrasthtml

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well I'm concerned.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This is a big pet peeve of mine too. Who are the stupid fuckers designing these no contrast jersey numbers? Millennials? Motherfucking idiots!

The NCAA lacrosse rules have a new change that requires easy to read jersey numbers. Gives teams two years to implement the change. I figured ESPN was behind the new rule, but hell, the fact that a new rule had to be made to counter stupid jersey fashion designers speaks volumes on the intelligence of lots of people, including the schools that accept and wear the designs.

Makes it hard on tv, fans in the stands, and all the press box folks including the game announcer.

It has to be young fucking idiots behind this trend.

Now get off my lawn, motherfuckers!

4. Starman

The teevee commentators on ESPNU, who are customarily there to blow warm gentle breezes up everybody's butts and rave about how wonderful everything is, remarked numerous times it was impossible to pick out any player numbers at all.

I wasn't at the game myself, but I talked to a couple people who were, and they said it was not a photographic/video illusion -- to the naked eye, the numbers were utterly illegible.

OU plays at Arizona Tuesday night. I think if I were Sean Miller, before the game I'd buttonhole the refs and say, "I don't think you need to say anything before tipoff, but if they come out on the court in those uniforms, why don't you just ring up a nifty 2-shot technical for each player in the scorebook."

Starting the game with a score of something like Arizona 20, OU 0, would probably get somebody's attention.

The really stupid thing is OU's colors are black and gold.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But can the uniforms breathe?

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That guy's haircut sucks, too.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

OK, I know it's a technical foul if a player is wearing a number that's different than what's recorded in the score book. But on what grounds would a technical foul be called for this? Is there a rule pertaining to number legibility? I agree that the designer of these unis should henceforth be prohibited from working in any aspect relating to fashion.

8. Starman

The rule book says players must have "legible" Arabic numerals on both the front (min. 4") and back (6") center of the jersey. Since there is no actual standard specified, the refs should take it upon themselves to decide what "legible" means.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Arabic numerals? We speak English in Oklahoma, buddy.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I covered a preps game back in 1997 and this was an issue. It was the only time I ever covered a hoops game where I couldn't take a running box score because of the numbers. At halftime, I asked the team scorer and he said, "Oh, I can never tell who did what because of the numbers."

It didn't help that 10 of the 12 guys on the team were between 5-11 and 6-3 and white. White people all look the same. :D

11. Starman

You know, there are a lot of picayune bullshit rules on the books for which there are no obvious functional reasons, but this actually affects the game itself. It screws things up if refs cannot legibly see the numbers; fouls get called on the wrong player, etc etc.

The fact it is terrible for spectators and media is true as well but only a side issue.

There's really no counter-argument. Uniforms which impede/interfere with the orderly playing of the game need to be banned.

And not in 6 months or 2 years or 4 years, either. This bullshit is driven by the shoe companies; they can whip up new uniforms within a half- hour if they are told to do it.

Make it a mid season point of emphasis. Impose the new rules effective Jan. 1. After that, a 2-shot technical for each player who sets foot on the court in an illegal uniform.

If you're so smitten by your black-on-black, or white-on-white, or gold-on-yellow, or Crimson-on-scarlet uniforms you feel you just have to have 'em, you can; it'll just cost you 20 or so points per game.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Guess Nigel Tufnel has moved on from the haberdashery to fashion design.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted