1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New forum software

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had 14 pages of PMs. Once I got to it, took only 2 minutes to mark them.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm too busy dazzling the board with my brilliance to waste time doing that.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nice pull, Wal Ter.

4. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

I don't have answers for all your questions, but here's some of them...

Select the text, and you should see a "+Quote | Reply" button. The "+Quote" triggers multi-quote, which is pretty nifty. This video explains it better than I ever could: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/editor-toolbar-spoiler-bb-code-and-multiquote.66976/

Thanks @TeamBud!

When you open a thread it should automatically take you to the first post you haven't read. If you've read the thread already, it will take you to the start. If the thread has unread posts, but you still want to re-read from teh beginning, then you can load it normally from the first page, first post by clicking the timestamp below the thread title.

They aren't there. There is a "Go to first unread" button that shows up on some threads for me, but not others, I haven't figured out what the trigger is.

#2 - "Latest user to respond" shows up on tablets and desktops, but not mobile--just not enough screen space.

Anytime you see spam, please, please hit the report button. You only need to do it once per spammer--no need to report all their posts. The spam won't disappear, but it gets added to the moderation queue we can quickly ban the spammer, delete all their spam (posts + conversations), and find any other spam accounts using the same IP address.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday configuring the spam tools, so that should cut down on spammers registering--already it's stopped 5 registrations--but a few will get through. The main problem right now are old spam accounts that registered but never posted until now... those are pretty tough to identify, so we'll just have to cleanup the mess when it happens. Again, anytime you see spam, please, please hit the report button.

I'll fix this later today. It will also fix the Google results.

Hover over your username and click "Your Content"

You can also go to any user's profile where you will find tabs for "Postings" and "Recent activity"--recent activity includes things like Likes, etc.

See here: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-sj-owner.101523/#post-3846622

Currently you're either staff, new member or active member, but I totally agree that reputation/seniority should be visible somehow so you know who you're talking to... not sure that'll be only tied to post count or if it will incorporate other stuff.

BUT, while important, this isn't urgent, so likely won't get touched til the latter part of this week or early next. A few other bits of functionality that are broken are more urgent to fix up.

Unfortunately, none that I'm currently aware of. Sorry! I have filed a bug report with Xenforo that the SMF importer should transfer read-message state... hopefully other forums won't have this problem.

If I get around to it, I might write a custom database query that copies message read state from teh old SMF database to this one, but that'd likely take me a full afternoon to figure out the right database tables, and not sure I'll get to it.

Nope, no easy way to do this. I'll keep an eye out for other ways to handle this, but I doubt I'll find something easy to implement. :-(

I'm not sure what this functionality was like... do you have screenshot of how it looked under SMF?

You're spot on about the blue not standing out enough... I'll put that in the "enhancements" todo list, which I'm tackling after the "broken" todo list.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jeff, a late entry but fast walking away with "Poster of The Year 2014"

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

How did the only person I have ever blocked on SportsJournalists.com show up as the one person I am following?

Edit: Since deleted as following.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I figured out the trick for forum jumping. There's a little arrow button in the bottom right corner of each screen that opens the menu with all of the different forums. It's there, but not labeled and sort of small and hidden.

Jeff likes this.
  8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dam that's a good find. Like finding a beanstalk in Super Mario Brothers

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It tends to appear when you press the up key twice, then the down key twice, then left-right-left-right, followed by a and b.

JRoyal and Jeff like this.
  10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Jeff, is there any way a member can stay signed in? It seems like we have to log in EVERY time on this site. I'd prefer to log in once and not have to worry about it for a while. That's just me. :)

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

When I sign in, under the password, there's a box I can check to Keep Me Signed In (or something like that).

Draft saved Draft deleted