1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on buying an elliptical and treadmill

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Dec 14, 2014.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

OK, my wife and I have decided to dump our YMCA membership and buy an elliptical machine and treadmill. We figure they'll pay for themselves in a few years with the almost $1000 in Y membership fees we'll save I already have a great stationary bike so this will give us a mini gym.

Anybody got any advice on a good elliptical and/or treadmill to buy for about $1000 (or less) and a website we might use to purchase them? Also, any advice on a good time to buy? I've heard late January is when you get good prices but I don't know if that's a myth or not. (My bike is a NordicTrak.)

Any help is much appreciated.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I would think January would be a terrible time to buy.

We got our treadmill in November and got a pretty good deal on it.

We got one for about $500 through Sam's Club. We're happy so far.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think our treadmill is a ProForm model. Got it like 4 years ago from Dick's for around $600. We bought it in November, maybe. Close to the holidays. Never had a problem with it. Bought a maintenance kit on Amazon for about $15 or so.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The wife says the elliptical is useless unless you are too obese to use a treadmill. If you're buying a treadmill, you probably don't need both. Maybe invest the rest of the money in some free weights. Lifting will help you burn calories and build lean muscle, which is the goal. And, a combination of cardio and weights is the way to go.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not to mention that it's hard to find an elliptical in Home gym price point that has the feel of high end gym one. I agree with YF.
    Start with a thread mill and free weights. I would focus on dumb bells - maybe 5-40 to start. If you don't have already have spend some money
    on a a flat screen and DVD for Gym and by the P90 X workout. P90 x will give you a much better workout than any machine.

I pretty much did what you are thinking. Go sick of spending thousands at gym. Hated the coffee klotch at every machine and hours that at
    times were not suitable to my workouts. I'm now 7 years free of gym and have saved $8400. Spent about $3000 on loading up my gym
    with everything I need.

I get all my stuff through Rogue Fitness.
    http://www.roguefitness.com/strength-equipment/squat-stands

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the treadmill. I feel like I get a better workout on the elliptical and it's easier on my knees. I tore my quadricep tendon off the bone a few years ago (not recommended!) so running on a treadmill would be tough. I had the other knee scoped a few years before that and I have arthritis in both. My wife wants the treadmill and I'd like an elliptical. Not saying I'd never use the treadmill but it bores me just walking on it.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Injuries that prevent you from using the treadmill are also a reason to use the elliptical.

Buy some free weights anyway. It's the best way to build strength, and lean muscle.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'll go along on the free weights advice. I invested in barbells, dumbells and a couple of benches more than 25 years ago and have used them 3-4 times a week since then, with breaks only for work travel and a couple of injuries. I don't know how old you are but I've increased the percentage of time I spend stretching as I've hit my mid 50s but, like others have said, it becomes even more important to maintain muscle mass as you age. Also, fuck curls. They're a waste of time. And don't overdo the bench press. Do, however, make sure you include exercises that incorporate larger muscle groups like squats and dead lifts. Pull-ups and dips provide great results and they can be done without weights.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I remember my football coach telling us 25 years ago how worthless curls were. The teenagers who wanted big biceps to impress the girls didn't want to listen.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Wait until March or so and then check Craigslist for an elliptical. All the people who thought they would be everyday users figured out, uhhhhh, no. Will be much cheaper and then you can sell it on when you figure out it's a great clothes horse.

11. Don't buy a new one. Don't.
    It is ridiculous to spend $1000 for a fancy clothes rack.
    You can find good, close-to-new equipment in a your local trader or on Craigslist. People buy themselves or their wives gym equipment all the time and then never use it.
    I would think winter - or this time of year - is the worst time to buy that stuff new. People are thinking of dieting, making resolutions to lose weight. Plus, it ain't like they have the option to exercise outside.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have had two different ellipticalls in the past 8 years. I agree that the step down from the gym quality machines to the ones for the home are greater than with treadmills. But I have crappy feet and ankles from 25 years of playing hoops, so it is better for me.

I bought a Nordic Track one for about $600 a few years ago and a Pro Form one last year for a little more. Sports Authority is always having a sale. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles -- I tend to either do a constant speed or a simple hill program and don't need a fancy display because I am usually listening to something and watching TV while I exercise). I would make sure that the stride is comfortable (I am tall and the cheaper models tend to be too restrictive for my stride) and that you can do multiple levels (I am in decent shape and one of the ones which I tried was too hard to do even on the lowest level).

Draft saved Draft deleted