1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Twitter IPO

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's coming up rapidly, and there is a ton of speculation out there about both the short-term and long-term prospects of the company and its stock. Personally, and I still hold this opinion about Facebook despite its recent rebound, I think that it will ultimately be a disaster. I think that these companies will not be able to generate advertising revenue any more than newspapers were online, and investors will start to bail in earnest in the next two or three years.

From what I've read, Twitter had revenue of $317 million last year - Facebook reported revenue of $3.7 billion the year before its IPO. Some financial journalists don't even think it is ready to take this step right now.

I think it's cool that there's a place where people can talk about sports, TV shows, and presidential debates in real time. I don't think that, ultimately, that place is going to be profitable.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Depends. Maybe it has to be a product placement kind of thing instead of trying to snooker people into clicking.

For instance, I've had an idea for a web-only Twitter game show (in the vein of Remote Control) for the last few years. To be seen, advertisers would pay a flat fee to have non-clickable ads on the screen. It's more effective anyway, I think. No one clicks ads. Having a small button ad that users stare at for minutes at a time starts to embed itself in the subconscious.

Draft saved Draft deleted