1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

While Richardson is averaging 3.5 yards per carry, it's not like there was much talent around him that stretched the field. Defenses could put 7 and 8 guys up front to stop him.

With the Colts, defenses have a much better passing game that they have to defend, which can open up more holes for him.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can build a team around a feature back? Other than Minnesota what team would you be talking about? You can also get that featured backe much lower in the draft. Richardson has had only 2 runs of over 20 yards in his career, maybe he just isn't explosive enough in the Browns minds.

Lombardi is being judged against the Browns horrific past which he can't do anything to change. Time will tell but Cleveland is more than a back away from being competitive and the way most teams have turned things around is by stockpiling picks.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Or they figured offers would be sweeter a few weeks into the season when teams started suffering injuries at RB.

4. Where did the Vikings draft Adrian Peterson?

Maybe "build" wasn't right ... With a decent RB, kicker and defense, you can be a competitive team.

Lots of teams with feature backs and bad-to-mediocre QBs have either made the playoffs or been competitive enough to stay in the hunt into December.
    I'm not talking about Super Bowl winners, but possible playoff-contending teams.
    Richardson is in what his third year? On a team with suck QBs and a no-name WRs, which means defenses can load up with 8-man fronts, stuff the run and dare the team to throw to win.

I'm not saying Richardson is a HOF'er, but he'll be a good addition to most NFL teams. An upgrade for many.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Peterson lasted to No. 7 because there were questions about his durability. He'd had numerous nagging injuries in college (sprained ankle, separated shoulder, etc.) and also missed part of his junior season with a broken collarbone.

But everyone figured (correctly) that if healthy he'd be the best running back to enter the NFL since Barry Sanders.

Richardson's in his second year.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the Browns are insane. People are criticizing Richardson's yards per carry, but he played hurt most of last season and was still pretty good. He was pegged as the best RB to come out of college since Adrian Peterson and the Browns gave up a shitload to move up one pick to get him when ifn they sat there they probably would have gotten him anyway. Granted, that was the old regime...

They got a pick that is likely to be in the No. 16 to 22 range for a player who some think could be a top 5 back. That's not enough...

I'm surprised the media seems to be defending the trade. I wonder if Lombardi being the GM has anything to do with that.

7. Steak Snabler

It's not about where the Colts' pick is; it's about having two first-rounders. They probably will package them to move up and draft Brett Hundley, assuming Jacksonville is No. 1 and takes Teddy Bridgewater.

8. Mizzougrad96

And then Bridgewater can hand the ball off to Willis McGahee. :D

9. Steak Snabler

Or you do like the Redskins did after taking RGIII and draft Alfred Morris in the sixth round.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Peterson is a future hall of famer, I would say he's an outlier, wouldn't you. Unless you think Richardson is in Petersons league it's apples to oranges.

Maybe Richardson turns into an all timer, who knows but I completely understand Lombardi's thinking here.

11. Mizzougrad96

You're showing way too much faith in Cleveland's front office. :D

Shanahan has a history of finding running backs in the late rounds. Just because a couple teams can do it, it shouldn't be assumed that any team can do it.

Richardson was supposed to be an elite back. Over the last decade, there haven't been too many running backs who have gone in the top 10 (I know there were three one year, but that was a bit of an anomaly, and all of those guys have been disappointments). Consensus was that Cleveland didn't reach when it took Richardson at No. 3.

Has he been a disappointment? I don't know... He played hurt most of last year and running backs on bad teams don't usually put up huge numbers. He still had 11 TDs.

Even if they kept Richardson, the Browns would have likely been in a position to take one of the big name QBs in the first round of the draft.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Maybe. But now they have ammo to trade up if the opportunity presents itself. And Richardson, if he's as good as you think, was still going to be wasted behind those guards.

If the Browns are bad enough to get an elite QB with their own pick, they still have that extra first rounder to fill one of their two biggest needs outside of QB - CB and OG. Then, they can look for Richardson's replacement in the later rounds.

Frankly, I'm stunned they could get a first rounder for Richardson.

Draft saved Draft deleted