1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times Finally Profiles Islan Nettles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 9, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dick was right.

An Islan Nettles profile will appear on page A16 of tomorrow's New York edition.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This crusade of yours really is getting tedious. And it chips away at the quality of the whole site.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

#alllivesmatter

16 months, and no charges brought against anyone.

[​IMG]

In the year since Nettles was killed during an encounter with a group of men on Aug. 17, 2013, the Manhattan District Attorney's office dropped all charges against the lone suspectin November because witnesses identified two different suspects. No one else has been charged in the time since, and prosecutors say that new witnesses are likely the only thing to move the case ahead.

A spokeswoman for the Manhattan D.A.'s office declined comment citing an ongoing investigation. The office has noted in court that there is no statute of limitations for murder charges.

But relatives and advocates called on the D.A.'s office to do a better job updating the community about a case they say sends a strong message to transgender women of color about the value of their lives.

"I don't want this to die down and have people forget. The past year has been difficult for me and my family," said Nettles's mother, Delores Nettles.

http://dnain.fo/1BfQLNd

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I, for one, wonder what Caleb Hannan thinks about this.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted