1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Box scores/line scores for baseball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CharBroiled, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

lucky rbis.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've given in that wins aren't as important as they seem.

RBIs ... still pretty significant.

Of course, expanded boxes, I'm sure, will soon include the slash line.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

except for the dirty little fact that every great career pitcher that we know, owns a lot of wins.
    that's an inescapable fact.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hey, we're on the same side of that argument. I've just found that it's not worth the hassle here.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Nice that if someone drops in from 1890, they'll still be able to follow the linescore.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

that's a hurdle those bastards trip on, tho. they can talk seasonal this and that, but when you identify great career pitchers, inevitably those pitchers always have a shit-ton of wins or great winning percentages ... one or the other.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Two posts ago you said it was inescapable "every great career pitcher that we know, owns a lot of wins." But now suddenly there's an "or" in there. We have somehow escaped that first assertion. Was Pedro the tipoff for the change? I bet he was. (I'm also guessing the thing about backing into 300 wins was sarcasm, because, you know, lots of wins).

Anyway, I don't think there's an argument wins are completely dissociated from pitching well. Only that the correlation is not as strong as was once thought. In fact, by extrapolating out over many long careers, it seems like your argument can fit well within the "element of luck" framework. Luck becomes less of a factor with a better sample size, and a 15-20 year career is that. Eventually you stop playing with garbage offenses or stop being the guy on staff getting shorted run support. Things even out, and they guys doing the best to allow fewer runs win more games.

(Damn you Versatile, I saw your first post and thought you're just doing that to be an asshole. And now I'm fucking posting. Crap).

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

excuse me, but i don't believe i was having a fucking discussion with you, so tough fucking shit if you don't like what i was saying to shotglass. in fact, you can piss the fuck off if you don't.

secondly, give me your list of top-10 great pitchers with shitty career records so i can laugh my ever-lovin' mother fucking ass off at you. let's make it .380 or less ... since, well, ya know, wins don't mean shit.

9. dirtybird

Oh cute, Tom didn't read the post he responded to. Enjoy that discussion.

Anyway, boxscores. My old shop did:
    Winner xx, Loser xx
    Visitor xxx xxx xxx — x x x
    Home xxx xxx xxx — x x x
    W — Winner (x-x). L — Loser (x-x). Sv — Saver if any (x).
    Notable hitters —
    Records — Visitor x-x, y-y; Home x-x, y-y.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i guess that means no list?

11. dirtybird

Have fun with your straw men. Also the Houdini act of escaping an inescapable fact in the course of three posts. I'll try to go back to that time you were enjoying a one-on-one discussion with someone on a fucking message board.

Draft saved Draft deleted